Monday, September 10, 2007

The Dog Whisperer inspiration for practicing yoga


I love to watch The Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic Channel (Friday 5:00 pm). This show is all about teaching people (dog owners) to be aware on the energy they project around their dogs.
I truly believe that all of us can benefit from watching how we hold our body and project energy. Dogs are mirrors to our energy and can tell us that we are tense by becoming aggressive. Isn't that amazing?
The idea is that people (dog owners) must project calm and assertive energy at all times or the dog will move into protective energy (aggressive) energy. This forces the dog owners to observe if they are responding to situations with fearful or tense energy, resulting in a change in their dog's behavior. You can't lead well when you are fearful or tense.
When we practice yoga we move into calm energy when we do deep breathing. We move into calm and assertive energy when we decide to do our best and let go of suffering. This is how yoga moves into daily life, by relaxing, observing if we are holding tension and detaching from trying to control everything.
In yoga, Down Dog pose (pictured above and in the animal kingdom) becomes easier when your shoulders and neck relax. By finding the place where you have a gentle stretch in down dog, you release suffering. Take this into daily life and notice how you feel throughout your day. Ask yourself "Do I feel relaxed?", if not then what is interferring with your calm assertive energy? Perhaps it is anticipating something in the future or wishing something in the past had gone differently.
In yoga we focus on staying in the present moment to release tension and connect more deeply to our body and spirit. The Dog Whisperer teaches self awareness, just like yoga can when used for turning inward.
I sometimes forget these lessons and then am reminded when anxiety or stress show up. I might need to get a dog! Never give up on being calm, assertive and accepting doing your best as enough. If we heal ourselves, the world (and dogs) notice.
Namaste, Anne

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Anne,

Loved your article about yoga, since I practice as well and have found that it has helped me training my dog Max too. I adopted him 4+ years ago and he was a super alpha male. I have worked with him a lot, and on myself being more calm and assertive, and today although at times he has his alpha male moments, at 5 1/2 he is so well-behaved that I can bring him to yoga with me, and he sits on the terrace durng the 1 1/2 hour class as calm and relaxed as ever. I don't have a picuture, but I think the next time I go I'll take one and send it to you...

Namaste,

Cynthia

Saundra pustetta said...

I love your alology and appreciate ypu sharing it,
thank you :))

Ypur bloog looks great. You share so much!

Namaste!


Saundra

Anne Morris, Astrologer said...

Thanks Cynthia,
Let me know how you found my blog. I wish you peace.
Anne