Thursday, August 30, 2007

Creating a Sacred Space




I love symbolism. I find it everywhere. Opening sacred space is creating ceremony to add meaning to our lives. When life seems more about making money, and less about finding joy in life, I create a ceremony.
There is a reason that most cultures have sacred traditions and ceremonies. We each yearn to participate in something that feels sacred. Many native cultures have a tradition of opening sacred space. This is done by connecting with the symbolism assigned to the four directions, the earth and the sky. This tradition reminds us to honor the earth and our spiritual helpers in life. Adding ceremony to life can provide a sense of connection to something bigger than ourselves.

Yoga and the medicine wheel practices such as opening sacred space have helped me ground my energy, feel more connected and able to appreciate our planet. We can root as deeply into the earth as we reach up into the heavens.
Try opening sacred space before meditating or upon arriving at your home. By showing appreciation for the world around us, and being thankful, we can create sacred space and shift our energy. There are thousands of ways to open sacred space.
Some of what I have learned has come from the Peruvian tradition discussed in "Shaman, Healer, Sage" by Alberto Villoldo Ph.D. I have completed the four directions of the Medicine Wheel with John English and continued in his Beyond the Medicine Wheel classes. Currently I am a mentor for new students in the Medicine Wheel program. For more information on John English's Medicine Wheel see http://www.dtpublications.com/.
Here is an example of words used to open sacred space :
Standing Facing South “To the winds of the South, blow through this space and help me open sacred space. Show me how to release all that binds me, as the serpent sheds her skin. Help me to release all attachments and patterns that lead to suffering, and walk in beauty. Thank you.”


Standing Facing West “To the winds of the West, where the sun sets, blow through this space and help me open sacred space. I ask the jaguar to help me track all sources of darkness, fear or limitations in my life and clear them. Help me identify all karmic and genetic programming that no longer serves me and release them with your help. Thank you.”


Standing Facing North “To the winds of the North, blow through this space and help me create sacred space. I honor the hummingbird who drinks from the nectar of life and know how to make long journeys with faith. I honor all the spiritual teachers who teach that anything is possible through love. I listen in stillness to connect with spirit. Thank you.”


Standing Facing East “To the winds of the East, where the sun rises, blow through this space and help me create sacred space. I ask the Eagle and the Condor to show me how to see life with impeccable vision, how to travel as my true self, and with spirit. Show me how to manifest more than I have yet to dream of. Thank you.”


Hands to the Earth “Mother Earth, help me create sacred space. I honor all your creations, your plants, the stones, and all the animals. Thank you for creating this place of learning and providing so much to support me. I honor the fish, the birds, the insects, the four legged animals and all your people, I seek to know you deeper and support you. Thank you.”


Hands to the Sky “Great Spirit, God, the Sun, the Moon, and the Stars, blow through this space now and help me create sacred space. Thank you for the life energy that you provide us, for all that you provide that I may not even understand. I seek to work on your behalf and honor you. Thank you.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i notice that there is nothing about closing sacred space when you have finished your 'work'.
do you have any information about this?